Following Sunday's meeting we are moving ahead quickly into the planning phase.
John Burgess and I met with representatives from VBRRA, Vicurban and the Institute of Architects last night to work through a planning process.
We presented a high level summary of the aspirations emerging from the Community Workshop as follows:
- The community wants to take an active role in determining the future of Flowerdale
- The community spirit that has become stronger since the fires needs to be built on and maintained
- The rebuilding plan needs to look to the future
- There is strong support for Flowerdale to become a Sustainable Town, with water and energy top priorities
- There needs to be more community facilities, particularly for children and older residents
- There needs to be a strong focus on all aspects of water
- The plans need to be affordable for existing residents
- The issue of communications including mobile coverage, high speed internet access and television coverage needs to be dealt with
- Residents that are rebuilding need information and advice on bushfire safety, energy efficiency and the planning and rebuilding process. This needs to be established very quickly.
- Residents who did not lose their houses want to be able to plug in to any sustainable initiatives around water, energy and communications
- People want more opportunities to work in Flowerdale and we need to look at initiatives that provide employment in the community
Overall the community wants to ensure that Flowerdale is rebuilt in a better and more sustainable way.
A planning group will be formed very quickly and we will give more info on the process, timelines and opportunity for participation as soon as it is available.
if there are any key aspirations which you think aren't covered above please add a comment and let us know.
We expect that the outline of the planning process will be available early next week.